Alright MMA-Freak fans, it’s that time again! Time to get you caught up on all or any MMA news you might have missed this past weekend. Grab your morning coffee or your after work beverage and let’s get you all caught up.
~ Headlines ~
UFC’s return to Sweden sells out in mere hours.
Manny Gamburyan confirms multiple injuries, apologizes for UFC 157 withdrawal.
If UFC champ Jose Aldo moves up in weight, teammate Renan Barao could follow.
~ Fight News ~
Kaufman-Smith, Nunes-Young, Hyatt-Cive added to Invicta FC 5.
Michael Johnson vs. Reza Madadi set for UFC on FUEL TV 9.
Lorenz Larkin makes UFC debut vs. Francis Carmont at UFC on FOX 7.
UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Mitrione-De Fries, Couture-Pearson, Alloway-LaFlare.
Michael Kuiper vs. Tom Lawlor added to UFC on FUEL TV 9.
With no opponent, Chad Mendes off next week’s UFC 157 card.
Adlan Amagov-Chris Spang added to UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Sweden.
Ovince St. Preux meets Gian Villante in battle of Strikeforce vets at UFC 159.
Robert Drysdale vs. D.J. Linderman added to April’s Legacy FC 19 event in Texas.
Pickett-Easton, Brimage-McGregor added to UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Sweden.
UFC on FOX 7 adds Jury-Nijem, Parke-Tuck, Masvidal-Means, Njokuani-Bowling.
~ Quote’s ~
Tito on Getting “Cyborg” released: “Right now, we’re actually waiting for the UFC to release her,” Ortiz said. “We asked for them to release her, and Dana actually talked to me (Thursday). They gave an offer, and I went to Cyborg and she didn’t want to do it, so we asked for her release. Since they’re not having a 145-pound weight class, what else can they do? “So as of now, she’s going to be released, and maybe we’ll go looking somewhere else and you’ll be seeing Cyborg crush some other women’s faces.”
Respect your opponent? Alex Davis says it’s imperative in MMA.
Dan Hardy on Retirmement: “Martial arts for me has always been a tool to understand myself a little more, and it’s getting to the stage where it’s run its course now,” he offered. “The structure the sport has taken on is taking away from that for me, and I think I’m best served to be somewhere else in the future.”
Bisping on Belfort TRT Use: “As I said right after the fight, I lost because I made a mistake, and Vitor took advantage of it,” Bisping said. “It sucks. I don’t like it, but that was the result. I lost. Bottom line. “Over the past couple years, and even right before the fight, I have made my views on TRT very, very clear. I don’t feel that I need to go into depth about it again right now. All I have to add about this specific instance is that it is very disappointing that someone who was caught cheating with testosterone in the past, now gets to use testosterone legally. A well-known side effect of steroids is that it reduces testosterone, so I don’t understand how it would make sense to then grant someone an exemption to then increase testosterone.”
Greg Jackson: ‘I don’t foresee problems’ from UFC with Spike TV show.
UFC on FUEL TV 7’s Gunnar Nelson a man of few words, but knows one: ‘Win’.
~ Misc ~
The Sunday Junkie: Feb. 10 edition via www.mmajunkie.com
Evan Dunham wants to shut up internet writer by smashing Rafael dos Anjos.
Stiffed $25K, Brazilian Lucas Pimenta struggling to continue MMA career.
UFC on FUEL TV 7 weigh-ins set for Feb. 15, Michael Bisping hosts Q&A.
~ Fight results ~
Bellator 88: Shlemenko vs. Falcao-
MAIN (Spike TV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Alexander Shlemenko def. Maiquel Falcao via KO (punches) – Round 2, 2:18 – to win vacant middleweight title
- Marlon Sandro def. Akop Stepanyan via majority decision (28-28, 29-27, 29-27) – featherweight tournament opening round
- Mike Richman def. Mitch Jackson via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:57 – featherweight tournament opening round
- Alexandre Bezerra def. Genair da Silva via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:40 – featherweight tournament opening round
PRELIMINARY (Spike.com, 8 p.m. ET)
- Magomedrasul Khasbulaev def. Fabricio Guerreiro via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 1:15 – featherweight tournament opening round
- Joe Elmore def. Jerrid Burke via KO (punch) – Round 2, 4:11
- Ronnie Rogers def. Shane Crenshaw via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Clay Harvison def. Ururahy Rodrigues via TKO (knee) – Round 3, 3:34
- George Hickman def. Stephen Upchurch via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:19
~ Upcoming Fight Cards ~
Bellator 89: Dantas vs. Galvao Feb. 14th-
MAIN (Spike TV)
- Eduardo Dantas vs. Marcos Galvao – for bantamweight title
- Dan Cramer vs. Brian Rogers – middleweight-tournament opening round
- Brett Cooper vs. Norman Paraisy – middleweight-tournament opening round
- Doug Marshall vs. Andreas Spang – middleweight-tournament opening round
PRELIMINARY (Spike.com, 8 p.m. ET)
- Nathan Davis vs. Tim Goodwin
- Johnny Buck vs. Chris Mierzwiak
- Kyle Bolt vs. Joe Pacheco
- Sultan Aliev vs. Mikkel Parlo – middleweight-tournament opening round
- Aaron Johnson vs. Brennan Ward
- Mont McMullens vs. David Mejia
MFC 36: Reality Check Feb. 15th-
Mukai Maromo vs. Graham Spencer – for vacant lightweight title
- Elvis Mutapcic vs. Sam Alvey – for middleweight title
- Mike Hackert vs. Smealinho Rama
- Luke Harris vs. Jason Zentgraf
- Leo Bercier vs. Jay Silva
- Jonatas Novaes vs. Kurt Southern
UFC on FUEL TV 7: Barao vs. McDonald Feb. 16th-
MAIN (FUEL TV, 3 p.m. ET)
- Renan Barao vs. Michael McDonald – for interim bantamweight title
- Dustin Poirier vs. Cub Swanson
- Cyrille Diabate vs. Jimi Manuwa
- Gunnar Nelson vs. Jorge Santiago
- Ryan Jimmo vs. James Te Huna
- Che Mills vs. Matthew Riddle
PRELIMINARY (Facebook, 12:15 p.m. ET)
- Terry Etim vs. Renee Forte
- Danny Castillo vs. Paul Sass
- Josh Grispi vs. Andy Ogle
- Stanislav Nedkov vs. Tom Watson
- Vaughan Lee vs. Motonobu Tezuka
- Ulysses Gomez vs. Phil Harris