It was a quiet month in August in terms of fights but there were some just the same and here are the best of them:
Top 10 Fights of August 2017
10) Ciro Rodrigues TKOs David Michaud – Legacy Fighting Alliance 19: Michaud vs. Rodrigues
Ciro Rodrigues was able to stand out in a fight where not much was going on in the MMA scene in general.
9) Mike Rodriguez knocks out Jamelle Jones – Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series Week 5
The contender series was meant to showcase and bring fighters into the UFC and Mike Rodriguez did just that.
8) Sergio Pettis beats Brandon Moreno by unanimous decision – UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno
Sergio Pettis was able to make a statement against Brandon Moreno that he maybe in title shot position.
7) Alejandro Perez defeats Andre Soukhamthath via decision – UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno
This was a close fight and some people weren’t happy with the decision but Alejandro Perez got the victory win.
6) Dustin Ortiz defeats Hector Sandoval via knockout victory – UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno
Dustin Ortiz scored a quick knockout against Hector Sandoval and got a Performance of the Night award for it.
5) Roxanne Modafferi TKOs Shana Dodson – The Ultimate Fighter: Team Alvarez vs. Team Gaethje
It was good to see Roxanne Modafferi get her first win in the TUF house with a TKO against Shana Dodson. It should be interesting to see if she does indeed make it to the finals.
4) Sam Alvey split decisions Rashad Evans – UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno – Upset of the Month
Sam Alvey pulled probably the greatest upset this month sadly at former UFC Champion Rashad Evan‘s expense. This maybe a sign to Evans to hang up the gloves considering he is on a losing streak dating a few years back.
3) Maurice Green defeats Jermaine McDermott by choke – Legacy FA 19 – Submission of the Month
Considering these are heavyweights, it’s surprising that Maurice Green was able to secure the submission he did.
2) Humberto Bandenay knocks out Martin Bravo – UFC Fight Night 114 – Knockout of the Month
Humberto Bandenay pulled probably the greatest alternate debut in the UFC with a quick knockout victory.
1) Alexa Grasso decisions Randa Markos – UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs. Moreno – Fight of the Month
This was a close fight between two standouts but Alexa Grasso was able to pull an upset against Randa Markos. If it weren’t for the fact that Grasso missed weight this would have been a fight of the night winner.