April had many fights that set into motion several future match-ups in MMA. So with that here are the best of them:
10) Tony Johnson vs. Alexander Volkov – Bellator 136
This fight had a surprising result because Alexander Volkov is such a dangerous fighter but upsets happen.
9) Marcin Held vs. Alexander Srnavskiy – Bellator 136
A fight that may have earned Marcin Held a title shot against Will Brooks with his dangerous submissions.
8) Joey Beltran vs. Brian Rogers – Bellator 136
One of the preliminary fights that was exciting and could’ve been on the main card under different conditions.
7) Will Brooks vs. Dave Jansen – Bellator 136
Probably one of the better fights put on by Bellator in the spring but champion Will Brooks controlled most of it.
6) Luiz Buscape vs. Ures Jurisic – The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians
The second fight of the season which looked close but according to the judges it went to the Blackzilians side.
5) Alexis Davis vs. Sarah Kaufman – Comeback of the Month – UFC 186: Johnson vs. Horiguchi
In their third fight Alexis Davis was finally able to get her revenge against Sarah Kaufman coming from behind. It was nice to see Davis back on her A game considering the massacre she experienced by Ronda Rousey.
4) Luke Rockhold vs. Lyoto Machida – Upset of the Month – UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold
This was not expected but Luke Rockhold proved that he is not to be underestimated by anyone at middleweight. The win probably earned Rockhold a title shot against UFC Middleweight Champion Chris Weidman in the future.
3) Chad Mendes vs. Ricardo Lamas – Knockout of the Month – UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas
Was a quick fight that showed how far ahead of everyone else in the bantamweight division is except the champion. Either way it was a good rebound win for Chad Mendes and gave him the spotlight once again.
2) Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi – Submission of the Month – UFC 186
Again a demonstration of just how good of a fighter Demetrious Johnson is by pulling a last minute submission. If this doesn’t demonstrate to people in the MMA world that he’s the top pound for pound fighter nothing will.
1) Paige VanZant vs. Felice Herrig – Fight of the Month – UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold
A back and forth affair between a veteran of the sport and a rising star that had some surprising results at the end. This begs the question of whether Felice Herrig wasn’t herself in this fight of if Paige VanZant was that good.