June has brought on the beginning of a series of good fights that could very well be fight of the year candidates:
10) Brendan Allen defeats Larry Crowe via knockout – Legacy Fighting Alliance 43: Allen vs. Crowe
To say that Legacy Fighting Alliance continues turning out good prospects is an understatement as this match shows.
9) Keoni Diggs defeats Andy Varela via TKO victory – Legacy Fighting Alliance 44: Frincu vs. Aguilera
Keoni Diggs showed how hungry he is at the Legacy Fighting Alliance level with a TKO against Andy Varela.
8) Saad Awad defeats Ryan Couture via technical knockout – Bellator 201: Macfarlane vs. Lara
Again Saad Awad demonstrated how dangerous he can be against second generation fighter Ryan Couture.
7) Derrick Krantz defeats Kassius Kayne via decision – Legacy Fighting Alliance 42: Krantz vs. Kayne
Derrick Krantz and Kassius Kayne showed how hungry they are to make an impression in Legacy FA.
6) Joe Giannetti defeats Allan Zuniga via submission victory – The Ultimate Fighter: Undefeated
Achieving his second submission of the season, Joe Giannetti submitted Allan Zuniga another first round win.
5) Marlon Moraes defeats Jimmie Rivera via knockout victory – UFC Fight Night: Rivera vs. Moraes
Marlon Moraes made quick work against Jimmie Rivera and showed how dangerous he is against anyone.
4) Ilima-Lei Macfarlane submits (arm bar) Alejandra Lara – Bellator 201 – Submission of the Month
This impressive arm bar submission demonstrated how great a fighter Ilima-Lei Macfarlane is. It will be interesting to see if she eventually wants to make a jump to the UFC but Macfarlane’s one of the top flyweights.
3) Alex Nicholson knocks out Jake Heun – Professional Fighters League 1 – Knockout of the Month
Alex Nicholson made a statement in the system under PFL by knocking out Jake Heun in round two. It will be interesting to see how fighters are eventually seeded and how PFL works out championship defenses in the future.
2) Robert Whittaker defeats Yoel Romero via split decision – UFC 225 – Fight of the Month (tied)
It is surprising that despite the hard weight cut Yoel Romero had to endure that he was able to put on such a hard fight. While not a title defense due to Romero’s missed weight, Robert Whittaker had to earn his victory.
1) Mike Trizano decisions (una.) John Gunther – The Ultimate Fighter 27 – Fight of the Month (tied)
John Gunther gave Mike Trizano a run for his money in the first semifinal of season 27 of The Ultimate Fighter. However, in the end as Trizano said, “The lone wolf feasted on his opponent’s flesh.” Rather gruesome analogy.