Alright MMA-Freak fans, it’s that time again! Time to get you caught up on all (or any) mma news you might have missed this past weekend. Grab your morning coffee or your after work beverage and let’s get you all caught up.
MAIN (Spike TV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Ben Askren def. Karl Amoussou via TKO (doctor stoppage) – Round 3, 5:00 – for welterweight title
- Muhammed Lawal def. Przemyslaw Mysiala via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 3:52 – light-heavyweight-tournament opening round
- Douglas Lima def. Michail Tsarev via TKO (leg kicks) – Round 2, 1:44 – welterweight-tournament opening round
- Ben Saunders def. Koffi Adzitso via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) – welterweight-tournament opening round
PRELIMINARY (Spike.com, 8 p.m. ET)
- Hunter Tucker def. Javier Obregon via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:17
- Jason Sampson def. Chris Pham via submission (armbar) – Round 3, 4:55
- Brent Weedman def. Marius Zaromskis via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27) – welterweight-tournament opening round
- Raul Amaya def. Jose Gomes via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:12 – welterweight-tournament opening round
- Damon Jackson def. Zach Church via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:43
- Cortez Coleman def. Matt Jones via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs. Dodson:
MAIN (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Demetrious Johnson def. John Dodson via unanimous decision (49-46, 48-47, 48-47) – to retain flyweight title
- Glover Teixeira def. Quinton Jackson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Anthony Pettis def. Donald Cerrone via TKO (body kick, strikes) – Round 1, 2:35
- Ricardo Lamas def. Erik Koch via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:32
PRELIMINARY (FX, 5 p.m. ET)
- TJ Grant def. Matt Wiman via KO (elbows) – Round 1, 4:51
- Clay Guida def. Hatsu Hioki via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Pascal Krauss def. Mike Stumpf via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ryan Bader def. Vladimir Matyushenko via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:50
- Shawn Jordan def. Mike Russow via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:48
- Rafael Natal def. Sean Spencer via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 2:13
PRELIMINARY (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)
- David Mitchell def. Simeon Thoresen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Watch Anthony Pettis interview with Airel Helwani as his TKO finish of Cerrone is replayed in the video below.
Video courtesy of Fueltv
Matt Hughes officially retires, takes executive position with Zuffa.
UFC on FOX 6 draws reported 16,091 attendees for $1.27 million live gate.
UFC 156 fight week brings expanded MMAjunkie.com Radio schedule.
HBO’s ‘Real Sports’ spotlights UFC champ Ronda Rousey on Feb. 19.
Eddie Alvarez’s motion denied, will not fight at UFC 159.
UFC on FOX 6 bonuses: Johnson, Dodson, Pettis and Bader earn $50K awards.
UFC and Anderson Silva not ready to commit to Chris Weidman title fight.
Brian Rogers-Dan Cramer middleweight tourney bout booked for Bellator 89.
Dana White on Nick Diaz at Presser: “I know he hates to do it, but everybody does,” White said. “You guys have no idea. These guys are in their camp, they’re in their own little world, and then they’ve gotta leave and do all the press and media and it’s hard. That sounds stupid, but it’s harder than people think. You’re answering the same questions over and over. But it’s what we do. It’s part of the game, and everybody wants to talk about making Floyd Mayweather money, but Floyd works his ass off to promote a fight.”
T.J. Grant: ‘I made a statement’ with UFC on FOX 6 win over Matt Wiman.
Jackson’s message to Teixeira after UFC on FOX 6: ‘Go get the title’.
Lamas on title shot: “There’s a fight happening next weekend, I’m going to be there watching, and I’d love to have the winner of that fight, the main event of Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar”
Pettis on Title shot: “If it’s a guaranteed title shot, then I’m waiting,” Pettis said. “That was my goal this year, and I’m definitely going to wait and get better.”
Dana White: ‘I don’t know what to say about Rampage’ following UFC on FOX 6.
Mike Dolce: I could have ‘Cyborg’ at 135 pounds in 48 hours for Ronda Rousey.
UFC champ Jon Jones: Heavyweight move could come as early as this year.
White: ‘Rampage’ made $15.2M over 11 fights, but ‘shoots himself in the foot’.
Dana White believes UFC’s first trip to Russia could happen in 2013.
White says UFC was close to Fedor Emelianenko-Brock Lesnar stadium fight.
Fighter(s) of the Weekend:
Ben Askren, Anthony “Showtime” Pettis, T.J. Grant, Ricardo Lamas and Shawn Jordan.
Popular Topic of the Weekend:
Should Gilbert or Pettis be getting the next shot at Ben Henderson?