After a crazy weekend of fights, there are still a lot of questions to be answered:
Does Gilbert Melendez deserve an immediate rematch?
Will Gilbert drop down to featherweight 145 lbs?
With constant decision wins, how does Ben Henderson expect to be one of the greatest of all times?
If Bendo would have lost, would he have still proposed to his girlfriend?
How did Gray Maynard and T.J. Grant get thrown into the mix all the sudden?
Should Josh Thompson get a title shot next instead of Maynard/Grant winner?
Has Nate Diaz lost his step…again?
Is Daniel Cormier too cocky because he is still undefeated?
Was Jordan Mein nervous?
Is Matt Brown title worthy?
With Duane Ludwig training Team Alpha Male, what does the future hold?
Is Myles Jury a top 10 fighter?
Let’s get to all this, plus much, much, more….
~ Fight Results ~
XFC 23: Louisville Slugfest-
MAIN CARD (AXS TV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Luis Santos def. Shamar Bailey via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:02
- Zach Underwood def. Deivison Ribeiro via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Stephanie Eggink def. Brianna Van Buren via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Joey Diehl def. Eric Moell via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 0:31
- Gerardo Julio Gallegos def. John Troyer via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:41
- B.J. Ferguson def. Charles Stanford via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 0:59
PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised, 8 p.m. ET)
- Eugene Perrin def. Augusta Tindall via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Scott Hope def. Joshua Blanchard via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:25
- Brandon Sandefur def. Josh Cooper via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:35
- Brandon Hurst def. Eric Jarvis via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
UFC on FOX 7: Henderson vs. Melendez-
MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Benson Henderson def. Gilbert Melendez via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47) – retains lightweight title
- Daniel Cormier def. Frank Mir via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josh Thomson def. Nate Diaz via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:44
- Matt Brown def. Jordan Mein via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:00
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 5 p.m. ET)
- Chad Mendes def. Darren Elkins via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:08
- Francis Carmont def. Lorenz Larkin via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Myles Jury def. Ramsey Nijem via knockout (punch) – Round 2, 1:02
- Joseph Benavidez def. Darren Uyenoyama via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:50
- Jorge Masvidal def. Tim Means via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- TJ Dillashaw def. Hugo Viana via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:22
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4 p.m. ET)
- Anthony Njokuani def. Roger Bowling via TKO (punch) – Round 2, 2:52
- Yoel Romero def. Clifford Starks via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 0:32
~ Headlines ~
UFC on FOX 7 bonuses: Matt Brown/Jordan Mein FOTN, Romero and Thomson KO of the night (no sub of the night) earn $50,000.
T.J. Grant-Gray Maynard winner at UFC 160 gets title shot vs. Benson Henderson.
UFC on FOX 7 draws reported 13,506 attendance for $1.333 million live gate.
Main-event winner Benson Henderson and co-main-event loser Frank Mir were the top earners at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event and each earned $200,000.
UFC 159 weigh-ins set for Friday in Newark.
USA TODAY: Narrow wins define UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson.
Bellator inks Vladimir Matyushenko, debut will be non-tournament bout.
~ Fight News ~
Benoist out, Michel Prazeres meets Paulo Thiago at UFC on FX 8.
UFC’s Cung Le expects to fight again, would welcome shot at Anderson Silva.
Johny Hendricks wants St-Pierre to vacate belt if Silva superfight happens.
Gilbert Melendez on loss via Fuel TV: “I thought I won the fight 3 rounds to 2. Is was a tough fight, Benson Henderson is a stud.”
Daniel Cormier on UFC Jitters: “I’ve had a very long athletic career, and I’ve competed at the highest levels of all my sports,” he told www.mmajunkie.com after the fight. “I always kind of laughed at (UFC President) Dana (White) when he said there were jitters and nerves that come with this.”… But man, I was nervous. I felt so nervous. It’s almost like you want it so bad and you want to do so well, and then you just kind of lay an egg a little bit. I didn’t fight the fight I wanted to.”
UFC on FOX 7’s Josh Thomson on ‘perfect’ fight: ‘I didn’t fight stupid.’
~ Misc ~
Following UFC on FOX 7 loss, UFC boss wants Nate Diaz to stay at lightweight.
~ Final Thought ~
Lightweight rematches have been a thing as of late and I don’t think this should be any different. Ben Henderson has won 7 fights in a row and hasn’t finished one of them. He has had close fights in his last three fights with two of them going to split decision.
Bendo claims he wants to be one of the best in the world, but winning and fighting the way he does, he will never be in the same category as Anderson Silva or Jon Jones.
Melendez did everything he could and even admitted taking his foot off the gas in the 3rd and 4th round. This doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve a rematch. Maynard and Grant are good opponents, but they both don’t deserve a title shot right now. I personally still want to see Henderson/Pettis II …