Alright MMA-Freak and MMAVictor fans, it’s that time again! Time to get you caught up on all or any mma news you might have missed this past weekend. Grab your morning coffee or your after work beverage and let’s get you all caught up.
Big question: does Conor McGregor vs. Andy Ogle really make sense?
When fans heard top featherweight prospect Conor McGregor was joining the UFC, they were ecstatic. The Irishmen delivered for the fans in his first fight defeating Marcus Brimage in impressive fashion in 67 seconds of the first round. After the fight, Dana White said the Irish fighter would next fight on the Fox Sports1 1.
Weeks after his debut, former TUF alum Akira Corassani went to twitter to challenge the Irishmen for his next fight. Corassani is coming off two straight wins, including a win over Conor’s new opponent Andy Ogle. Not taking anything away from Ogle, but he isn’t even on Brimage’s level, let alone McGregor’s.
Corassani made the most sense for this fight, especially since it is on the debut Fox Sports card. This card is supposed to be one of the best free cards, and Conor being on it made fans extremely happy. Conor is obviously the heavy favorite, but if Ogle pulls out the upset, then McGregor’s stock will drop immensely.
Akira is now set to face Mike Brown UFC on FOX Sports1 1 in Boston. How did Akira get the better fight? If anything, Conor should have faced one of them instead of Ogle. Conor is supposed to be a tough prospect and this isn’t the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) so why are fighters still being put over? Fans want to see tough fights, not givens.
ONE FC 9: Rise to Power-
MAIN CARD (Online PPV, 8 a.m. ET)
- Koji Oishi def. Honorio Banario via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:45 – for featherweight title
- Bibiano Fernandes def. Koetsu Okazaki via unanimous decision – for interim bantamweight title
- Masakatsu Ueda def. Kevin Belingon via unanimous decision – bantamweight grand-prix final
- Yasuhiro Urushitani def. Rey Docyogen via split decision
- Nobutatsu Suzuki def. Phil Baroni via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:17
- Kamal Shalorus def. Eduard Folayang via unanimous decision
- Andrew Leone def. Geje Eustaquio via unanimous decision
PRELIMINARY CARD (Free online PPV, 6:30 a.m. ET)
- Yusup Saadulaev def. Ryan Diaz via submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 2, 2:57
- Lowen Tynanes def. Felipe Enomoto via TKO (elbows) – Round 1, 2:41
- Tony Johnson def. Tim Sylvia via TKO (doctor stoppage, cut) – Round 3, 3:25
Legacy FC 20: Prater vs. Ferreira-
MAIN CARD (AXS TV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Carlos Diego Ferreira def. Carlo Prater via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Damacio Page def. Patrick Ybarra via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 1:57
- Chris Pecero def. Adam Schindler via TKO (knees) – Round 2, 1:02
- Alp Ozkilic def. Antonio Banuelos via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:30
- Elias Garcia def. Matt Schnell via majority decision (28-28, 29-28, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised, 8 p.m. ET)
- Corey Bellino def. Marcel Lumakang via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:31
- Kirk Hubble def. Gerald Gagon via unanimous decision
- Paulina Granados def. Maria Lopez via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 0:46
- Jared Perez def. David Siller via TKO – Round 2, 0:33
Cage Warriors 55: Pendred vs. Mills-
MAIN CARD (MMAjunkie.com, 4 p.m. ET)
- Cathal Pendred def. Che Mills via TKO (corner stoppage) – Round 3, 1:47 – non-title fight after Mills missed weight
- Neil Seery def. Mikael Silander via submission (armbar) – Round 3, 3:57 – to claim inaugural flyweight title
- Chris Fields vs. Norman Paraisy results in a majority draw (29-27 Fields, 28-28, 28-28) – Round 3, 5:00
- Paul Redmond def. Marc Allen via submission (toehold) – Round 2, 1:09
- Jean N’Doye def. Steve McCombe via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:03
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 3:10 p.m. ET)
- Piotr Ptasinski def. John Redmond via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:46
- Liam James def. Stephen Coll via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised, 2:30 p.m. ET)
- Konrad Iwanowski def. Sam Francis via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:00
- Ben Rees def. Gavin Kelly via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:44
UFC reportedly considering a major show at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2013.
GSP, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey among fighters booked for July’s UFC Fan Expo.
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira out at UFC 161, promotion seeks replacement.
Chael Sonnen campaigns for UFC 161’s open slot against ‘Shogun’ Rua.
Dave Jansen off Bellator 96, David Rickels meets Michael Chandler at Bellator 97.
Cormier Wants to Make 205 before Year’s end. Wants to fight out of the heavyweight division.
Ten-fight deal in place, UFC champ Anderson Silva says he only asked for four.
UFC on FUEL TV 10 fighter weigh-ins slated for Friday in Fortaleza.
Undefeated prospect Bubba Jenkins signs with Bellator MMA.
John Alessio signs with Bellator MMA, expected to debut in Season 9.
Cage Warriors 56 set for July 6 in London, including Omoyele vs. del Guerra.
UFC on FX 8 ‘Fight of the Night’ winner Lucas Martins to drop two weight classes.
Martin Kampmann vs. Carlos Condit II headlines UFC on FOX Sports 1 2.
Conor McGregor vs. Andy Ogle set for UFC on FOX Sports 1 1.
Mike Brown vs. Akira Corassani set for UFC on FOX Sports 1 1.
Liz Carmouche vs. Jessica Andrade added to UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle.
Shane del Rosario forced out at UFC 162, Dave Herman now meets Gabriel Gonzaga.
Heavyweights Soa Palelei, Nikita Krylov booked for UFC 164 in Milwaukee.
Hester vs. Ferreira added to UFC 163 in Brazil, Magalhaes vs. Perosh official.
Report: Magnus Cedenblad vs. Robert McDaniel slated for UFC on FOX Sports 1 2.
Uriah Hall vs. Nick Ring added to UFC on FOX Sports 1 debut in Boston.
John Makdessi out of UFC 162, Rafaello Oliveira now meets Edson Barboza.
Tito Ortiz on being a parent: “No. 1 is my children. I’m not out doing appearances at strip clubs and partying with people and going crazy. I’m here with my kids. From 6 a.m. to 8 o’clock at night. Monday through Friday, I’m waking them up, I’m feeding them, I’m putting clothes on their back, I’m taking them to school and dropping them off. I come back home and take an hour nap, I go back and pick them up from school, take them home, go for a walk with them, feed them, put them down for a nap and then spend the day with them. Then I shower them, feed them dinner and get them ready for bed and put them down. I have a nanny that comes in and helps me clean and so forth, but I need some help. For her (Jenna Jameson) not to want to be here, I have no explanation for it.”-mmajunkie
UFC 161 headliner Rashad Evans: ‘I’m not tired of fighting – I want to fight’.
Chuck Liddell: I didn’t want to stop, but it was the right decision.
Three years after last bout, MMA trainer Mike Dolce mulls a return to the cage.
Ask The Fans:
Who do you want to see step in a fight Shogun?
3. Phil Davis