Alright MMA-Freak fans, it’s that time again! Time to get you caught up on all or any mma news you might have missed this past weekend. Grab your morning coffee or your after work beverage and let’s get you all caught up.
~ Headlines ~
UFC 156 draws announced attendance of 10,275 for $2.437 million live gate.
UFC 156 bonuses: Aldo, Edgar, Silva, Green win $50,000 each.
UFC boss promises all 14 cast members of ‘TUF 17’ an official UFC fight.
White suggests Velasquez-Cormier possible; Barnett not getting quick title shot.
Dana White Pleased with 4-0 Strikeforce Start in the UFC.
~ Fight News ~
Dana White: Anthony Pettis wants shot at UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, would drop down to 145.
Marlon Moraes vs. Tyson Nam slated for WSOF 2 on March 23.
Besam Yousef vs. Papy Abedi joins UFC on FUEL TV 9 lineup.
Dana White says Ryan Couture will fight in the UFC.
Yoel Romero vs. Clifford Starks joins UFC on FOX 7 lineup.
UFC 159 adds Rustam Khabilov vs. Yancy Medeiros to New Jersey lineup.
Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo to fight at 135 in spring MMA debut.
~ Quotable’s ~
Maia on Tapping Fitch: “The strategy was to do what I did – go and try to take him down and take his back,” Maia said. “Unfortunately, I was not able to submit him because he’s very tough. I just realized when I got inside the cage and got his back, I said, ‘OK, now let’s try to do what I did in my last fight.’ But it just didn’t work. We had an ‘A’ plan and a ‘B’ plan, and the ‘A’ plan is what I did.”
Dana White On Rashad: “I like Rashad a lot. He’s a good guy, a smart guy. But he has lost that hunger. He’s lost that desire and drive, and he needs to get it back. There’s no doubt about it. He needs to get hungry again.”
Dana On Edgar going back up a weight-class: “He’s not going to 55,” White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “That’s not going to happen.”
White: ‘I’m happy I don’t have to be in business’ with Randy Couture.
~ Miscellaneous ~
UFC boss says Rousey-Cyborg could take place at 140 pounds, but not anytime soon.
UFC: Vitor Belfort didn’t fail UFC on FX 7 drug test.
Rafael ‘Feijao’ Cavalcante wants UFC’s Ryan Bader for anticipated summer return.
~ Fight Results ~
~ Legacy FC 17 ~
MAIN (AXS TV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Dan Hornbuckle def. Pete Spratt via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jared Rosholt def. Richard Odoms via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kevin Aguilar def. Nick Gonzalez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Johnny Ray Rodriguez def. Johnny Rodriguez via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:00
- Patrick Ybarra def. Billy Buch via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:29
- Reynaldo Trujillo def. James King via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:16
- Daniel Jolly def. Larry Hopkins via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 0:00
- Chris Lopez def. Melvin Jordan via decision
- Jamal Emmers def. Ernest De La Cruz via decision
- Marco Hernandez def. Cameron Martin via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:59
~ ONE FC 7: Return of Warriors ~
MAIN (Online PPV, 7 a.m. ET)
- Honorio Banario def. Eric Kelly via TKO (punch) – Round 4, 1:01 – wins inaugural featherweight title
- Shinichi Kojima def. Rey Docyogen via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 4:47
- Lowen Tynanes def. Vuyisile Colossa via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 4:37
- Peter Davis def. Leo Krishna via TKO (doctor’s stoppage due to cut) – Round 1, 2:01
- Adam Kayoom def. Zuli Silawanto via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:41
- Thanh Vu def. Ryan Diaz via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:03 – bantamweight grand-prix quarterfinal
- Melvin Yeoh def. Raymond Tiew via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:29 – Malaysian featherweight-tourney opening round
- Jian Kai Chee def. A.J. Lias Mansor via unanimous decision – Malaysian featherweight-tourney opening round
PRELIMINARY (Free online PPV, 6 a.m. ET)
- Gianni Subba def. Saiful Merican via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 4:08
- Jake Butler def. Antoni Romulo via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:46
~ UFC 156: Aldo vs. Edgar ~
MAIN (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Jose Aldo def. Frankie Edgar via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47) – retains featherweight title
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Rashad Evans via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Antonio Silva def. Alistair Overeem via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 0:25
- Demian Maia def. Jon Fitch via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joseph Benavidez def. Ian McCall via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Evan Dunham def. Gleison Tibau via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Tyron Woodley def. Jay Hieron via KO (punches) – Round 1, 0:36
- Bobby Green def. Jacob Volkmann via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 4:25
- Isaac Vallie-Flagg def. Yves Edwards via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)
- Dustin Kimura def. Chico Camus via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:50
- Francisco Rivera def. Edwin Figueroa via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:20
~ Question of the Weekend ~
Should Lightweights have to earn Featherweight title shots?
Ricardo Lamas is the number one contender in my opinion. Pettis vs. Aldo would be a great fight, but Pettis isn’t number one contender at 145, he is at 155. I wouldn’t give up a guaranteed title shot for a title shot in a weight-class you have never fought in before.
Watch highlights from UFC 156’s Overeem vs. Silva and Fitch vs. Maia in the videos below.