It maybe 2016 but there were still fights last month and they should be reviewed just the same. Here they are:
10) Gabrielle Garcia’s TKO over Seini Draughn – Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix: Izo no mai
Gabrielle Garcia made her MMA debut against the pro wrestler known as Lei’D Tapa on New Years Eve.
9) Yoel Romero’s split decision victory over Ronaldo Souza – UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor
In a close fight between Yoel Romero and Ronaldo Souza, Romero came out on top to possibly face Rockhold
8) Josh Thomson’s technical knockout over Pablo Villaseca – Bellator 147: Thomson vs. Villaseca
Josh Thomson picked up his second win after the UFC against Pablo Villaseca at the last Bellator 2015 event.
7) Artem Lobov’s knockout of Julian Erosa – The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber
For the last semifinal of TUF 22, Artem Lobov knocked out the final member of Team Faber Julian Erosa.
6) Rafael dos Anjos’ technical knockout over Donald Cerrone – UFC on Fox: Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone
Rafael dos Anjos surprised everyone when he defeated Donald Cerrone at his own game in the final UFC event.
5) Fedor Emlianenko’s submission (punches) of Singh Jaideep – Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2
‘The Last Emperor’ Fedor Emelianenko returned in a tuneup match against Singh Jaideep on New Years Eve.
4) Frankie Edgar knockouts Chad Mendes – The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale (Knockout of the Night)
Frankie Edgar made the best case for a title shot by knocking out Chad Mendes for only the third time in his life. This was a much needed victory for Edgar who wasn’t guaranteed a title shot with a victory unless it was impressive.
3) Hideo Tokoro’s submits Kizaemon Saiga – Rizin World Grand Prix 1 – Submission of the Month
One of the more surprising submissions of the year, Hideo Tokoro was able to submit Kizaemon Saiga.
2) Conor McGregor’s knockout of Jose Aldo – UFC 194 – Knockout of the Month/Upset of the Month
Conor McGregor surprised everyone not by knocking out Jose Aldo, but by knocking him out in 13 seconds. This has set up for not only a possible title defense against Frankie Edgar but also a possible jump to lightweight also.
1) Luke Rockhold’s TKO over Chris Weidman – UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor – Fight of the Month
A Fight of the Night at UFC 194, Luke Rockhold was able to grab the gold from Chris Weidman in what could be considered an upset in how Weidman was finished and Rockhold gets two belts for American Kickboxing Academy.